The Ormond Yacht Club was built in 1910 by several of Ormond’s founding fathers including John Anderson. When built it was not listed on the county or city tax rolls since it sat offshore on the Halifax. Inside you will find a coquina fireplace, a pool table, meeting areas, and kitchen facilities.
63 North Beach Street, Ormond Beach
The Dummett Plantation Mill Ruins are all that remains of a successful sugarcane processing facility including the first steam-powered cane-crushing mill, built in 1825 and owned by the Dummett family. The mill, built out of coquina, was burned to the ground in the Second Seminole War in 1836. 2456, 3178 Old Dixie Hwy, Ormond Beach
Ormond Tomb Park is the final resting place of James Ormond II, the son of Captain James Ormond I, an Anglo-Irish-Scotch Sea captain, who was commissioned to bring Franciscan settlers to the area. Originally part of a 2000-acre cotton and indigo plantation called Damietta, the current 9-acre park was donated to the park service in 1945. In addition to the tomb, there’s a playground, nature trail, pavilion, picnic tables, restrooms and parking.
3268 Old Dixie Highway, Ormond Beach
The Rowallan was built in 1913 to serve as the winter residence for Alexander Millar Lindsay, this residence was named Rowallan after a castle in his native Ayrshire. It was also owned by Englishman Leonard Martin and then Harold and Eileen Butts who renamed the house Linsaroe “by the water” in Celtic. Currently a private residence, The Rowallan was added to U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
253 John Anderson Drive, Ormond Beach
Built in 1897 by Billy Fagan from wood salvaged from the shipwrecked Nathan F. Cobb schooner, this one-and-a-half-story cottage has the original wood floors, staircase, and brick fireplace and chimney. The Nathan Cobb Cottage was designated as a Florida Heritage Site in 2021 and is currently owned and operated by the Ormond Beach Historical Society which offers an annual open house in March.
137 Orchard Lane, Ormond Beach
Joseph Price, an Ormond Beach pioneer, bought acreage along John Anderson Drive in 1887, and for nearly ten years, an orange grove and a small one-bedroom cottage were on the property. In 1915, Hammock Home, which now spans 5,589 square feet with six bedrooms and five baths, was built. The original one-bedroom cottage, built in 1889, is still standing in the northeast corner of the property. Hammock Home is located at 311 John Anderson Drive where it serves as a private residence.
Knox Memorial Bridge is one of only three remaining drawbridges crossing the intercoastal waterway in Volusia County and the only one in the area loosely referred to as Ormond Beach. Built in 1955, it claims to have a clearance of 15 feet according to NOAA charts, but boaters report that the clearance may be as little as 9 feet. To request it be opened by either a horn signal (one long, one short) or a call to the bridge tender on VHF Channel 09.
Spanning the Intercoastal at Highbridge Road
The Dix House was constructed in 1878 by Colonel Dix for his sisters, Ruth and Eliza, who were two of the first settlers in the area. Originally used as a boarding house by the Dix sisters, the second floor of the house called Dix Hall was used for meetings and social events. This is where John Anderson and Andrew Bostrom convinced the city founders to change the name of the town from New Briton to Ormond Beach in honor of James Ormond on April 22, 1880. In 1989, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
178 N. Beach Street, Ormond Beach
Ormond Memorial Art Museum and Garden was established in 1946 with the stated mission “to inspire the community through art and nature while honoring those who fought for freedom.” The museum regularly features local artists and has an annual student exhibit however you can also see works by national and international artists exhibited. Renovated in 2022, the building hosts many events in its new classrooms and has a rooftop terrace. Directly behind the building are the Memorial Gardens where, in addition to a lush tropical garden, there are sculptures dedicated to veterans of the Vietnam and Korean Wars.
Museum Hours: 10a-4p Weekdays; Noon-4p Weekends
Garden Hours: Open sunrise to sunset
$2 per person suggested donation.
78 East Granada Blvd, Ormond Beach
In 1894 the Village Improvement Association (VIA), currently the Ormond Beach Women’s Club, purchased the property where the Anderson-Price Memorial Building would later be built. It was named in honor of John Anderson and Joseph Price, prominent members of the community known for the Hotel Ormond and establishing racing on the beach to promote their hotel. For many years the building was used as the Ormond Beach Library until the building of the current library by City Hall in 1969. The Women’s Club which still holds its meetings there as part of the agreement, deeded the property to the Ormond Beach Historical Society in 2002 which continues to maintain the building using funds generated by renting the building to groups for social and business events.
42 North Beach Street, Ormond Beach